The wooden rotunda on the exhibitions grounds in 1896. From the private
collection of Martin Bitschnau.

This photograph, taken around 1900, is one of the few shots of the original wooden rotunda.

For ten years, the cyclorama was housed in a simple wooden rotunda near the fair grounds. The rapid waning of public interest spelled financial ruin for the painting. Shortly before its contract with the city of Innsbruck was to expire, the painting was shipped to the Royal Austrian Exhibition in London. When the wooden rotunda burned to the ground immediately thereafter, there was suspicion of arson.